Friday, March 2, 2012

The Meltdown

I am not proud to say that I had my first Kai-induced meltdown the other night.  I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

When I got home from work, I was really tired, and of course Kai was being super energetic after having been crated during the afternoon.  He seemed hungry but Chris is the dinner man for Kai (since I feed Kai morning and lunch meals) so I wanted to wait.  Chris wasn't going to be home for another hour.  Kai was bouncing off the walls, trying to chew everything, including me, and chasing Molly.  I took him outside twice to help release some energy.  I was so, SO tired.  All I wanted to do was lie down for 20 minutes.  I was literally counting the minutes until Chris got home, so that I could have a little nap.  Finally Chris got home and let me nap for 30 minutes while he watched Kai.  Chris was also tired and wanted a short nap of his own after I was done.  I got up after my 30 minutes, still very tired, and tried to play with Kai a bit more.  I laid down on the carpet in the living room and Kai immediately was biting my hair, my hands... I sat up and he bit my butt through my jeans!  That one actually hurt a bit.  I had to put Kai in a time out.  After I closed the door to the time out area (the bathroom) I just lost it.  I started sobbing out of tiredness and frustration.  I felt like a bad puppy mommy, that I didn't understand Kai and didn't know how to make him understand me.  Chris was great and made me feel better.  I ended up going on a short run to help stabilize my energy, and then I watched Kai while Chris got his nap. 

I was thinking to myself that Kai probably is going through a lot right now, too.  He is used to playing rough and tumble with his sisters, and suddenly (less than two weeks ago) he was removed from them, and doesn't have anyone around him now to play in the only manner he's accustomed to playing.  And he's still very young, only 9 1/2 weeks.  I know he will eventually learn.  I just really, really want to do him right.  I've read so many articles which state that the 8-12 week period is so important for the pup's future development, and I don't want to make any big mistakes which might cost us later.  (I know I will make lots of small mistakes-- but that is life.) 

Kai is actually being good for a moment!

Fortunately, Chris found what sounds like a great dog trainer through his connections at the UC Davis Vet School, and we will be taking Kai to his first puppy class this Sunday.  I have high hopes for this class.  Kai should be able to finally get some playtime with other puppies, and hopefully the trainer can train all of us!  I know that I need training as much as Kai does.

And I keep reminding myself how good he has been on many levels.  He continues to be great in his crate, sleeping quietly through the nights, and napping during the day when we crate him.  He rides in his crate in the car without complaint, and he's been very good with meeting new people.  I just want to be able to play with him without him eating my hair!  And I want to go walking with him.  Soon, I hope...

1 comment:

  1. V. He's a normal puppy. The classes will really help. We are here anytime you need a time-out. You can bring him over any time. <3

    ReplyDelete